Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

A new chapter...

So, coming back home was something pleasant for me. Never actually been away from home for a full month, and yes, i missed it... A lot more than I expected I would. What was Dubai like? Hmmm, not sure how to explain that, but we could say I had fun, sort of. I came back about a week and a half ago, and, I don't miss Dubai at all. Most of my time there I spent in my hotel room, playing Minecraft or Battlefield 4 on my dad's laptop. Basically, staying at the beach after 1 o'clock is a bad choice, because you might just get a heat attack. Temperatures there go up to 46-50 degrees Centigre (about 120-130 Farenheit), and the massive amount of humidity that keeps the air hot, makes you think it's 60 degrees. You don't even sweat! Having a few water bottles with you at all times is a must, good thing the water is cheap, unlike the rest of Dubai. Food in non-Hindu restaurants is expensive af and the food quality is the same, except for the ambient which is more decorated. Metro is really clean, not a single piece of trash in sight, and you can't chew gum while in the train, even though no one obeys that rule, but no one also sticks it under a seat. There are barely any pickpockets, but I recommend you have your eyes on your pockets at most times, you never know who might stick their greedy hand in there (and the pickpockets are European). I also visited the top of Burj Khalifa, it was sick! I saw the best part of the Al Zayed road that goes through the 7 emirates (kinda like a Route 66 for the Emirates). Also, the buildings and hotels look badass from there. At night, in front of Burj, huge fountain shows happen, and they're amazing! A few days before my departure, I had a swim at a beach that has a look over at the Burj Al Arab, world's first 7 star hotel. It looked even better live, especially because it was day-time. I got stung by a few jellyfish while I had a swim on the Jumeriah beach 1 (there are 6 Jumeirah beaches). Those jellyfish can be up to 20-30 centimetres long, and if they sting, you will be in pain for the next two days, but they're not poisonous, so it's not that bad. Not all of them are huge, and not all stings hurt that long. Also, once we got ordered out of the water because sharks had been seen about a mile away, but it lasted for only 20 minutes. Now, if you stay in a four star hotel in Dubai, whatever the fuck you do, DON'T DO YOUR LAUNDRY in the hotel, because I did it, and it wasn't pleasant for my dad's wallet. We sent our clothes to be cleaned 2 times, had to pay 100 euro for those 2 times... Not to mention that we also payed 30 euro for a pepsi and a coffee... After all that we only went to Starbucks, where we got a nicer wallet treatment. Since I'm a big Star Wars geek and fan, my dad bought me a t-shirt for my bday. I bought it in some store in the Dubai mall that had some collector's items, like a Bugatti engine, a YAMAHA piano and the third ever issue of the Spiderman comic book. How much did it cost? 30.000 dollars. How thin was it? About 1.5 centimetres (about 50 pages). Best bargain ever, right? The Dubai mall has its own ice rink, while the Emirates mall has a ski hill. So, does it pay off to go to Dubai? Sure, if you wanna spend money on senseless shopping and 50.000 dollar watches and 20.000 dollar Luis Vuitton handbags, and get stung by jellyfish. Don't get me wrong, I liked Dubai, but it simply isn't for people from third-world countries like me. I'll try and blog more often, but school has started, so i can't guarantee anything. Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment